Friday, August 17, 2007

WHAT I WROTE WHEN I WAS 17 YEARS OLD (1967)

Wide-eyed
And listening,
I walk.
Intent.
Looking at everything.
Rarely understanding anything.

Hey world:
You are a puzzle.
With no piece in place.
Every day I bring my own puzzle piece
With me
As I walk
As I wait


AND:

Silence is electric,
Tense and catlike,
Constructive in mood,
purely emotional.
Silence recalls yesterday's
Singing moments,
Wild laughter,
Brief pauses.
Crying at nothing,
Mumbled syllables
Silence is not emptiness.



When I woke up this morning, my first thought was "silence is not emptiness," so I looked for and found these poems from 1967.

3 comments:

robin andrea said...

Wise words for someone very young. Those times in the late 60s were incredibly charged and the greatest ideas seemed to literally fill the air.

am said...

Music filling the air with wise words certainly influenced me. In 1966 and 1967, as we rode the bus to high school, the bus driver always set the bus radio to a San Francisco music station that frequently played the song by Simon and Garfunkle called "Sounds of Silence," and I know I was listening at home to Bob Dylan's "Love Minus Zero/ No Limit," with its lyrics:

"My love she speaks like silence, without ideals or violence."

I was and still am a quiet person. Someone wrote in my high school senior yearbook that they never heard me say very much. Writing a poem about silence was a way I could speak. Both poems were published in the high school literary magazine.

Thanks for stopping by. You have been in my thoughts. Hope you are feeling better.

robin andrea said...

My health is improving slowly. I will have hyperpigmentation scars for some time. The new outbreaks are fewer and fewer. I almost remember life as it once was. Thank you for asking, am.