Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010


















Gracias a La Vida (Thank you to Life)

poem by Violeta Parra
English translation by William Morín



Gracias a la vida, que me ha dado tanto.

Thank you to life, which has given me so much.

Me ha dado la risa, me ha dado el llanto.

It gave me laughter and it gave me longing.

Así yo distingo dicha de quebranto,

With them I distinguish happiness and pain,

Los dos materiales que forman mi canto,

The two materials from which my songs are formed,

Y el canto de ustedes que es el mismo canto.

And your song, as well, which is the same song.

Y el canto de todos que es mi propio canto

And everyone’s song, which is my very song.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these hill-cloud photos really capture the feel of this Memorial Day. For me it seems appropriate, this is what I feel on this day, weighted down with those gone. kjm