Saturday, March 30, 2013

"... He said, 'All men shall be sailors until the sea shall free them'..."



Leonard Cohen: Dear Seth, I don't really have a 'take on the state
of Christianity.' But when I read your question, this answer came to
mind: As I understand it, into the heart of every Christian, Christ
comes, and Christ goes. When, by his Grace, the landscape of the heart becomes vast and deep and limitless, then Christ makes His abode in that graceful heart, and His Will prevails. The experience is recognized as Peace. In the absence of this experience much activity arises, divisions of every sort. Outside of the organizational enterprise, which some applaud and some mistrust, stands the figure of Jesus, nailed to a human predicament, summoning the heart to comprehend its own suffering by dissolving itself in a radical confession of hospitality.

...

Lars: How can I actually be sure that this is Mr. Cohen writing?

Leonard Cohen: Dear Lars, What kind of proof would you need. Kelley's typing this. I don't type very well. But to answer your question, you can't be sure. 


(source)


(additional source)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My twin brother sent me this link a couple of weeks ago. This post reminded me of it. Thought you might appreciate the story.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/verdal.html

am said...

Thank you, robin andrea! Thank your twin brother, too.