Thursday, August 16, 2007

ANDO HIROSHIGE (1797-1858) / VINCENT VAN GOGH (1853-1890) / BEFORE DAWN






















34. The Bridge of Boats at Toyama in Etchu Province, by Ando Hiroshige, from "Famous Views of the 60-odd Provinces."

I am delighted by the image of a bridge of boats!

Bev of Burning Silo mentioned Ando Hiroshige's "Famous Views of the 60-odd Provinces" in a comment. My work has been influenced by Vincent van Gogh who was influenced by Ando Hiroshige. I had not seen this particular series before and find it exhilarating to see these landscapes that so resemble the landscapes of my paintings and dreams and memories, although I have never been in Japan. I had not seen the following image by Vincent van Gogh, "The Bridge in the Rain," when I began my Calendar Series, although a friend gave me a postcard of "The Bridge in the Rain" after seeing some of my paintings from that series. Funny how I've been influenced consciously and unconsciously.



















This morning I was up early again:

2 comments:

Lori Witzel said...

Wonderful post, and most wonderful skies.

Hiroshige -- now there's a colorist. Almost pretty, but too much strength to be pretty. Dang -- now I need to go and find a word for that quality.

:-)

am said...

"Almost pretty, but too much strength to be pretty."

I've given that some thought. Sublime?