Thursday, June 4, 2015

Turning Point in Early June 2015



















Yesterday I was out on my porch with my camera. Turning around, I noticed my reflection in the window. Interesting to discover when I downloaded the photo that through my silhouette I can see photos of mother's mother and father, my mother, my father's mother and father, and my father, as well as my two sisters, my only nephew's father, and my nephew and his girlfriend and their now 1-year-old son, Pablo. Over my heart is the light I draw and paint by at my work table. If you look closely, you will see the carved red cardinal who perches on the light. The book is The Songs of Bob Dylan: 1966-1975 on a wooden music holder.  In front of that is one of the caned chairs that my mother's parents bought when they were first married in Boston in the early 1900s.  What appear to be white polka dots on dark blue is the pattern on my couch. On the couch is a colorful pillow with Fair Isle patterns knitted by my Scottish / German mother years ago. Sweet to see that my old dulcimer, made in Santa Cruz, California, in the 1970s, appears to be out on the porch with me, along with everything else, including the red Salvia plant that I bought and put in a planter in my porch garden this past week and the lush cattail pond, nearby dark hills, and lovely grey sky.

5 comments:

Sabine said...

This is such a beautiful post, reflecting history and memory and life in one image.

Anonymous said...

I love this photo and post. Quite beautiful.

Tara said...

A magical photographic moment. You've managed to capture so much in one frame. I love that your history is all around you in this moment in time. Your history cradles you, my friend.

Nick said...

Amazing what a single photograph can tell about us and our lives when you look intently.

bev said...

What a wonderful photo and description! A visual embodiment of the First Nations view that we are all connected.